Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Adobe and Macromedia merger - affects SVG?

Wired runs an article about the merger of Macromedia and Adobe.

Adobe and Macromedia certainly do make different products. I’ve used Photoshop for 10 years and Fireworks/Dreamweaver for about 5 years. Photoshop CS is great for publishing images. I still use it for print – and will alternate between Freehand and Illustrator for vector stuff, depending on the requirements of the job. I’ve even used Flash for vector tracing because it does better than any of the print applications. Fireworks’ integration with Dreamweaver means you can edit the images you’re arranging in a web page on the fly, even inserting html via FW that shows up immediately in DW (I work with both applications open at one time).

I’m neither excited nor completely disappointed about the merger. It could mean good things. But one bad thing I see as almost a certainty is that they will drop SVG. If Adobe and Macromedia have an equal stake in Flash, there’s probably little motivation for them to pursue W3C standards and creative development for web-based vector graphics. Until now, Adobe has worked actively to develop SVG. But I’m afraid this merger could mean SVG will continue to languish in obscurity. We need an alternative to Flash that doesn’t require special scripting – or more importantly, special plug-ins.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about best ebay product sellingand wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about **keyword** best ebay product selling so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if screen printers or the like ever blog here but if they do they might be interested in basketball clipart.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home